The Pros Are Coming to GO Cross
See some of the best riders and hottest names in cyclocross from all over the world at Virginia’s Blue Ridge Go Cross Race this weekend, September 18-19. We currently have an unprecedented 33 states and four countries represented onsite, with many more expected to register before the weekend.
This year’s race will be particularly epic thank to recent changes in how UCI pro-rider points are configured due to the pandemic. This makes the competition extra steep and the deepest elite field in Go Cross history.
For those not familiar with how cyclocross works (it’s confusing even for experts) the racers compete for points that rank them, give them preferred positioning at future races, and get them invitations to world and national championships. The way the points were configured, if the elites don’t come to Go Cross, then they potentially run the risk of starting the season with a devastating ZERO points.
With this new influx of elite athletes the competition has never been steeper. Below are the rankings based off the BikeReg.com prediction tool for all Go Cross registered riders. Riders who have typically finished in first place, now will have a serious battle on their hands – making the real winners the spectators.
Top 10 Ranked Pro Female Riders at Go Cross:
- Caroline Mani – Multiple French National Champion, 2018 & 2019 Go Cross Champion
- Sunny Gilbert- Multiple podiums at Go Cross
- Crystal Anthony- Previous Go Cross top finisher
- Raylyn Nuss – Previous Go Cross competitor
- Carla Williams – Local favorite, Carilion doctor and has had Top 10 placements at multiple Go Cross races
- Caitlin Bernstein
- Rebecca Fahringer – Silver medal 2019 elite national champion. 2019 Go Cross Champion
- Rachel Rubino
- Erica Zavetta
- Regina Legge – First time Go Cross racer
Top 10 Ranked Pro Male Riders at Go Cross:
- Lance Haidet
- Stephen Hyde
- Curtis White – 2019 Go Cross Champion. 2018 Pan-American Champion.
- Andrew Dillman
- Caleb Swartz
- Travis Livermon
- Eric Brunner
- Gosse van der Meer
- Nick Lando
- Kerry Werner Jr. – 2018/2019/2020 Go Cross Champion. 2019 Pan-American Champion – Moved to Roanoke in 2020.
While the races are action-packed for riders, Virginia’s Blue Ridge GO Cross Presented by Deschutes Brewery will be a lot of fun for spectators as well.
Cyclocross can be described as a bike race in a steeplechase format with riders that hop on and off bicycles while leaping over barriers and sloshing through mud, navigating gravel pits, stairs, and barriers. GO Cross is an official USA Cycling race, which will draw professionals from all over the country. GO Cross is perfect for first-timers, but also has a $12,024 prize purse for elite riders.
Bluegrass Themed Festivities for 2021:
- Bluegrass Beer Relay with Runabout Sports Roanoke– Grab a team of your besties, pop on your flannel, cut-offs and straw hat and join the fun! Prizes for top finishers and best costume. Prizes include Runabout Sports swag, Roanoke Outside branded straw sun hats and Hydroflask Can Coolers.
- Bluegrass band Blue Connection will be playing daily, starting at 11:30am.
- “Lil Belgian” kids races daily at noon. No need to register in advance, just show up 30 minutes early to sign waivers and get a bib for your kiddos.
- Deschutes Brewery will be on hand pouring some awesome brews in two locations. The Party Platform overlooking the sand pit, and the main bar near the flyover and club row.
- Food trucks onsite: Lost Highway Pizza and Delicias Gourmet Ice.