Running + Friends + Beer = Pub Run
Just after happy hour ends, there’s a new demographic jogging into breweries and restaurants — pub runners.
Pub runs have gained a cult following in the Roanoke Region, with options almost every weeknight. The concept is easy: Meet up for a group or walk with friends and then hop into a brewery or restaurant for a drink and bite afterward. The start and finish location is often at the establishment of choice.
It’s a popular way to spend time with friends and get in a daily run. Some pub runs bring dozens of people out each week with some runs easily topping 100 runners. Runners are tackling short- and longer routes on the roads, greenways, and trails.
The lure? Running with friends (a group run is a great option when the days are short) and then there’s the prize at the end. Some runs also include swag, giveaways, and demos from shoe companies. Plus, a pub run is a no-pressure way to find a running buddy or two and stay motivated.
Find the pub run that’s right for you:
- Fleet Feet Sports Pub Run and Walk is for all ages and abilities with 3- or 5-mile routes and frequently includes vendors with shoes and other items for participants to test out. After the run, head to Mellow Mushroom for specials. Tuesdays at 6 p.m., 210 Reserve Ave. (look for the Fleet Feet tent)
- Olde Salem Brewing Company Pub Run/Walk with Runabout Sports. Tuesdays at 6:15 p.m., Olde Salem Brewing
- The Original Pub Run is a casual running/walking group that meets weekly at the Village Grill for a little exercise before Taco Tuesday. All fitness levels, strollers, and dogs are welcome for the 3- and 5-mile routes. Tuesdays at 6:20 p.m., Village Grill
- Deschutes and Ladders is a running/stairclimbing weekly challenge at Elmwood Park that finishes at the Deschutes Tasting Room in Downtown Roanoke. Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m., Elmwood Park (spring and summer)
- Shine Runners meets at different locations for road, trail, and technical routes. First Thursdays at Chaos Mountain Brewing, 3- and 5-mile run options; second Thursdays at Hammer & Forge Brewing, 3- and 5-mile trail run options; third Thursdays at Brooks Mill Winery, 3-mile technical trail run; fourth Thursdays at Grassy Hill Natural Area Preserve (followed by El Rodeo), 4-mile trail run. Thursdays at 6 p.m.
- Starr Hill Fun Run/Walk is a group pub run with varying routes Downtown and on the greenway. Thursdays at 6:30 p.m., Starr Hill Pilot Brewery and Side Stage