When playing in the outdoors it is important to understand your impact on the environment. It is your responsibility to ensure that you understand the laws, regulations, and techniques designed to sustain our great outdoors and ensure it is there for generations to come.
- Leave No Trace is an international outdoor education program designed to assist people reduce their impact when recreating outdoors. The program strives to educate all those who enjoy the outdoors about the nature of their recreational impacts as well as techniques to prevent and minimize such impacts. Leave No Trace is best understood as an educational and ethical program, not as a set of rules and regulations. Learn more about the simple Seven Principles of Leave No Trace.
- Wilderness first aid is the knowledge and ability to effectively address injury, illness, or emergency outside of modern facilities, out in the wild. Skills could include knowing how to dress a wound, treat a burn or bite, or set an injured limb. These are important skills that can save your life or the lives of other outdoor enthusiasts. Learn more and be better prepared for your next hiking or backpacking adventure.
- Life Outside Magazine is a hyper-local publication written by locals about the local outdoor culture. It comes out three times a year.
- Outdoor Safety and Health tips for any outdoor outing.
- How to Hike the Appalachian Trail: Have you ever dreamed of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail? Here is a guide to get your started and help make your dream a reality.
- The Benefits of Spending Time Outdoors & Hiking: How hiking changes your body and brain.
- Cycling Virginia curates all mountain biking, cyclocross, road cycling, gravel rides, and cycling events throughout the state of Virginia.
- Mountain Bike Rules of the Trail: These guidelines for trail behavior are recognized around the world. The International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA) developed “Rules of the Trail” to promote responsible and courteous conduct on shared-use trails.
- Road Cycling Rules of the Road: When riding on roads bicycles are subject to the same laws as motor vehicles. Riders of all ages should use these tips to help ensure safe and legal bike operation. Please note that NPS law requires bicyclists to ride single file on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Bicycling Laws and Safety Tips: Learn about cycling laws and other great safety tips to keep you riding in Roanoke.
- Wear Your Helmet: Helmets help reduce cycling injuries.
Fishing & Hunting Resources