Pete’s Pick: I Hope to See You at Down by Downtown
Welcome to moenoke! That’s what we’ll be saying on April 21 when the national headliner visits the region for the Down by Downtown Music Festival.
The festival includes more than 30 shows crammed into just three nights, with free and ticketed events.
National touring act moe. is coming to Roanoke for the first time (so excited!), plus a grant from the Wells Fargo Foundation is expanding the reach of DxDT as well as providing lower ticket prices for festival-goers (you can get in every show for just $50!).
Down by Downtown is an opportunity to explore over a dozen venues in Roanoke and maybe discover something new. You might find anything from acoustic sets to block parties to headliner moe.
Every All-Access Pass includes a ticket to moe. on April 21 at Elmwood Amphitheater. moe. is the preeminent progressive rock band on the music scene today. With 20 years of touring and just as many albums under its belt, the quintet of Al Schnier and Chuck Garvey on guitars and vocals, Rob Derhak on bass and vocals, Jim Loughlin on percussion and vibes, and Vinnie Amico on Drums, continues to push the standard for performance art. Rolling Stone calls moe. a “legendary jam band,” and shows are as much fun to watch as listen to.
All-Access Pass sales have ended online, but you can still get them at the Roanoke Regional Partnership/Roanoke Outside offices. Stop by Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Each All-Access Pass is $50. Only cash or checks will be accepted.
Down by Downtown Schedule
Thursday, April 19
- 5 PM: DJ Dewey Nowlin at ChambeRAH (Charter Hall)
- 6 PM: The Bell Hornets at Starr Hill
- 7 PM: Place Called Home at The Spot on Kirk
- 7:30 PM: Ghost Light at 5 Points Music Sanctuary
- 9 PM: Empty Bottles at Wall Street Tavern
- 9 PM: SIRSY at Martin’s Downtown
Friday, April 20
- 5 PM: Mad Iguanas at Elmwood Amphitheater
- 6 PM: The Jonah Carden Duo at Big Lick Brewing Co.
- 6 PM: The Judy Chops at Soaring Ridge
- 6:30 PM: Dead Reckoning at Elmwood Amphitheater
- 7 PM: Albert Castiglia at The Spot on Kirk
- 7 PM: Street Party with Runaway Gin, Resinated, and Shorefire at Martin’s Downtown
- 7:30 PM: Mala Mala at Starr Hill
- 9 PM: Biscuit Miller and the Mix at Blue 5
- 9 PM: Dharma Bombs at The Phoenix
- 10 PM: Righteous Love Quest at Wall Street Tavern
Saturday, April 21
- 9 AM: Black Mountain Revival at Elmwood Amphitheater
- 11 AM: Kris & John Duo at Elmwood Amphitheater
- 12 PM: Daniel McBroom at Deschutes Tasting Room
- 1 PM: Los Chupacabras at Elmwood Amphitheater
- 5 PM: Sol Searchers, Travers Brothership, and moe. at Elmwood Amphitheater
- 7 PM: G.O.T.E. at Big Lick Brewing Co.
- 7:30 PM: Jody Ensor at Starr Hill
- 9 PM: Forever Now Band at The Phoenix
- 9 PM: Grass is Dead at Martin’s Downtown
- 10 PM: Shorefire at Fork in the Market
- 10 PM: The Rukus at Wall Street Tavern