May Is National Bike Month
May is National Bike Month, and there’s never been a better time to get connected to the cycling community in the Roanoke Region. From mountain biking to social rides, concerts to contests, there is something to appeal to cyclists of every skill level and non-cyclists.
Ride Solutions has a lot of stuff planned for the entire month of May:
- Ride Smart Challenge: Help take 100,000 miles off the region’s roads this May by biking instead of driving. Ride to the store, to work, to visit friends – every mile counts. Every trip you log is an entry into a weekly prize drawing which includes prizes like custom growlers from Star City Growlers, gift cards to local restaurants, and free memberships to our upcoming bike share program.
- Bike Shorts Film Festival: Premiering at the Grandin Theatre on Friday, April 28 at 7 p.m, the Bike Shorts Film Festival features 15 short films about bicycles from local, regional, national, and international filmmakers. Films cover the gamut from documentaries to dramas to biopics to crazy amateur sci-fi stories.
- Social Ride Series: Want to explore Roanoke’s neighborhoods at street level? Join in on one of RIDE Solutions’ social rides. May 7 is Pantsuits and Pedals, a women’s ride, and May 14 is the History by Bike tour of historical and endangered sites in the Roanoke Valley. More rides are on the way.
- Bike Fashion Show at the Grandin Chillage: Fashionista Roanoke will prove you don’t have to wear lycra to ride a bike with a fashion show at the Grandin Chillage on Friday, May 19.
- Night Rider’s Ball: At Martin’s downtown on May 20, the Night Rider’s Ball is the biggest party of Bike Month. This outdoor show is headlined by Particle and will feature a lineup of great bands. The best part: Ride your bike to get in free and take advantage of complimentary bike valet service!
- Bikeshare Launch: Bike share is coming! RIDE Solutions will launch 50 bikes across 10 stations that will give folks easy access to downtown, neighborhoods, and greenways. Roanoke’s bike share system is expected to launch at the end of May.