Waid Recreation Park is a 220-acre facility located near Rocky Mount in Franklin County, along the site of the Old Carolina Wagon Trail.
The park is nestled near the Pigg River, which is home of the “Pigg River Ramble,” a three-day kayak/canoe race and festival. More than 400 acres of rolling terrain and creek crossings make this area great for beginners and more experienced hikers and bikers, as well as family events or picnics.
More than 400 acres of rolling terrain and creek crossings make this area great for beginners and more experienced hikers and bikers. The location also hosts various special events and athletic leagues.
- 7 miles of walking and hiking trails
- Two walking tracks
- Equestrian trails
- Covered picnic shelters, pavilions, and grills
- Two playgrounds
- Fishing, canoeing, and kayaking
- Soccer, baseball & softball fields
- There are 10 total miles of hiking trails.
Hike It, Bike It
- The park is family and pet-friendly and fishing accessible.
- Follow US Hwy 220 S to State Rt. 919 in Boone for 14.7 miles.
- Continue on SR 919 for 3.1 miles, and turn right onto State Rt. 697 for 1.2 miles.
- Turn left onto SR 731 for 1.2 miles then onto SR 641 for 1 mile. Turn left onto SR 734 for 3 miles and turn right to stay on SR 734.
- Continue onto SR 643 and turn right onto SR 640 where you go for a mile, and turn left onto SR 800 and the destination will be on the right.
- Parking is available at the park.
- Visit the 22,000-acre Smith Mountain Lake, just a short drive from Rocky Mount, and enjoy a day on the water or the dock.
- Grab a beer at Chaos Mountain Brewing, the closest brewery to the campground.
- Drive to Martinsville, just 20 minutes south, and check out Martinsville Speedway, an iconic NASCAR location unique to Southwest Virginia.