The South Pedlar ATV Trail System (Terrapin and Rattlesnake Trails) is a looping network of approximately 19 miles of trails in the Bedford area. Riders will find challenges in the narrow and twisting trails, while others will find trails that are wide and inviting to riders of most levels.
This area is open to ATVs and motorbikes, as well as mountain bikes. Visitors enjoy panoramic vistas, groves of large trees, spectacular mountain laurel blooms in season, and shady forest canopy.
- Approximately 19 total miles of trails
- Open season runs April through November and will be noted on the website. Operational Hours also run from sunrise to sunset daily.
- A special recreation permit is required; they are not sold on site.
- Available permits are $5 per operator per day, $12 for a three-day pass, and $30 per annual permit.
- Vehicles must be less than 1,500 pounds and less than 50 inches wide.
- From Lynchburg, follow VA-130 W toward the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Just after crossing under the Blue Ridge Parkway, take a right onto FR 319 to the Terrapin Trailhead parking lot.
- The Rattlesnake Trailhead Parking is another 1 mile west on Rt. 130, then right onto FR 564.
- The park is located at the intersection of the parkway and Elon Road, Monroe, VA 24574.
- Parking is available at both trailhead lots.
- Visit the 22,000-acre Smith Mountain Lake, just a short drive from Bedford, and enjoy a day on the water or the dock.
- Visit the Fincastle Vineyard and Winery or White Rock Vineyards for a glass of wine or to take a bottle home, as they are the closest wineries to the park.
- Visit the historic landmark, Natural Bridge, just on the other side of Bedford.