COVID-19 Outdoor Updates (Roanoke Region)
Please continue to support local outdoor businesses and natural areas of play in a safe manner during COVID-19 restrictions. Many businesses are open in some capacity. We’re going to need them when we come out the other side of COVID-19 limitations, so go ahead and buy that piece of gear you’ve been thinking about, book a trip now, or purchase a gift card for future use.
The goal of this page is to provide information on what each of our outdoor businesses are offering the community during this time. We will do our best to update it when we learn new information. Please let us know if you see any inaccurate or missing information.
It’s important that no matter your personal viewpoint that we’re unified in our desire to beat this virus, to get past this, and get back to living life to the fullest. Please respect the shop owner that chooses not to open yet, and respect guidelines and rules they implement if they do; they’re doing it to protect you and their employees. If asked to wear a mask, do it. Now is not the time to create a division, it’s the time to create unity.
UPDATED July 21.
Visit Forward Virginia for the latest information regarding state mandates and recommendations.
OUTDOOR BUSINESSES (Gear, Outfitters & Activities)
Commercial and State Park Campgrounds
- Limited appointments. No open shop hours at this time.
- If we are working one on one, wear a mask, I will be sporting one along with gloves.
- Hand sanitizer and a washroom are available.
- And as always: free pickup & delivery, mobile service, sales tax included and online style prices.
- Text or email with questions, 540-632-1766 or email@example.com
- Open for camping. Options include primitive tent site as well as glamping tent packages.
- Tubing, kayaking, and COVID-safe shuttle service open.
- Make reservations online
- Limiting the shop to one (1) customer at a time and by appointment only
- Free pickup and drop off for service and repair, call (540) 344-2453
- Visit their website for ordering options and more details.
- Open Monday through Thursday (9 a.m.-6 p.m.), Friday (9 a.m.-7 p.m.), and Saturday (8 a.m.- 3 p.m.)
- Limited dining inside.
- Pickup and delivery of your bike for service at no additional charge; place your order online
- They are also delivering food, six-packs, and growlers
- Group rides will not resume until Phase 3
- Open Monday through Friday (noon-6 p.m.) and Saturday (12 p.m.-5 p.m.); doors will be locked; most business will be done outside; call for help (540-774-7933)
- Shop online and on Facebook and schedule a pickup (pay online or over the phone)
- Their recommendations: Consider an indoor bike trainer but when you have to ride outside, avoid the popular spots and explore a new one.
- Open, Mon-Sat 10am-6pm (closed Sunday)
- Curbside pickup still offered
- Avoid the lines and schedule an appointment for your visit. Everyone else is on a first come first serve basis.
- In-store safety protocols to include: all customers asked to wear masks (provided if you need one), social distancing, no contact, hand sanitizing stations, and employee temperature checks.
- Shop online via www.fleetfeetroanoke.com and get free shipping on orders over $99.
- Phone (540-777-1166)
- Join the #runningisNOTcancelled movement
- Open Monday through Friday (10 a.m.-6 p.m.) and Saturday (9 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- The downtown Roanoke store is open with limited hours.
- Number of people in store will be limited
- Curbside pickup can be arranged online or by calling the store (540-345-3635)
- Temporary Hours: Mon (11am-6pm), Closed Tuesday and Wednesday, Thur-Sat (11am-6pm), and Sun (12pm-4pm).
- Open Monday through Saturday (10 a.m.-6 p.m.)
- Order gear or gift certificates by phone (540-992-5850) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Special deals and ordering also available through their Facebook and Instagram pages
- Reserve items through Locally.com
- Curbside pickup for all purchases
- Currently offering bike, SUP, tube and kayak rentals.
- Consignment shop is open.
- Open Tuesday through Sunday, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- Practicing safe social distancing while on Claytor Lake
- Full-service marina and SUP rentals
- Open Monday through Saturday (noon-5 p.m.), closed Sunday
- Call ahead to maximize social distancing or to request an item be brought curbside
- No cash or check transactions
- Virtual catalog on Facebook so you can check out new shoes
- Implementing several free virtual races
- Opening July 6th to members only.
- No new memberships will be accepted yet.
- Open for the season
- Campgrounds & Overnight trips open.
- Implemented precautions to ensure safety and social distancing
- Asking guests to keep their party size small
- Online booking, waivers, and payment to minimize interactions
- Open for appointments only Wednesday through Friday (Noon – 6 p.m.) and Saturday(noon-5 p.m.) and Saturday (10 a.m-5 p.m.); closed Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.
- Call ahead to schedule your service, drop off time, and payment. No cash.
- No rentals or demos.
- Phone 540-204-4276; email email@example.com
- Purchase items by phone, via Facebook, or online
- Items available for curbside pickup
- Cabin and campsite rentals available
- Hangout on the Creek events each weekend that include live music
- Canoe rentals/shuttles, hiking trails open, limited food service
- Currently booking COVID-safe retreats for families, friend, businesses, and school groups for fall experiences.
- Call or email for availability
- All Zagster bike stations in Roanoke will be permanently removed.
OUTDOOR LOCATIONS (Parks, Trails, Etc.)
Commercial & Public Campgrounds
- The Appalachian Trail is open although shelters and privies remain closed.
- These are heavily used areas and people are encouraged to find other locations to hike.
- McAfee Knob – vehicles parking on Rt. 311 will be ticketed.
- Visit the A.T. Covid page and click on Virginia for more details.
Blue Ridge Parkway
- Road and trails are open.
- The Parkway is closed from Milepost 112.4 to Milepost 135.9 due to land slides.
- Restrooms, lodges, and visitor centers are closed.
Park only in designated areas.
If you encounter a crowded trail-head or overlook, go elsewhere.
- Visit their website for up-to-date information.
Carvins Cove Reservoir (Marina side)
- The Boat Landing operating under normal summer operating hours of 6:30 am – 9:30 pm
- The bathrooms and the picnic shelters are open.
- Rental boats are not available, but personal boats can be launched
- Trails are open for hiking and biking, and fishing from the shore or a personal boat is permitted
- If you launch your own boat, you must provide your own PFD (personal flotation device).
Guests need to follow social distancing when on the fishing piers, boat launching sites, parking lot or any other area in the park.
- Land use and boating fee collection is still temporarily suspended until August 1.Fees to use Carvins Cove will resume August 1.
- Visit this website for the most-up-to-date information.
- Outdoor amenities and trails are open.
- Treetop Quest – aerial adventure course & ziplines is open.
- Visitor Center – The welcome and information center is open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, with reduced occupancy limits in place.
- Tube & Kayak Rental – Gear rental and shuttle services are operating, running each Friday through Monday from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Shuttle service modifications have been made for social distancing.
- Cabin, yurt, and RV rentals available through online reservation
- Primitive campsites, as well as glamping tent packages available through Blue Mountain Adventures
- Twin Creeks Brewpub is open.
George Washington & Jefferson National Forests
- Areas are slowly reopen; visit their website to see status of specific sites.
- All greenways are open.
- Please visit www.greenways.org and find a greenway section you’ve yet to explore.
Jackson River Scenic Trail
- All restrooms and trailheads are open.
- Plan a trip.
Roanoke Parks and Recreation
- Encouraging folks NOT to use public trash cans because it is difficult for maintenance to keep up with increased usage while operating with reduced staff.
- All parks and greenways are open.
- All restroom including port-a-toilets are open.
- All natural surface trails open.
- Visit www.playroanoke.com for more details.
Roanoke County Parks & Recreation
- All parks, trails, playgrounds, and outdoor recreation spaces are open.
- Visitors must follow state mandated guidelines for group size and social distancing while utilizing any park, trail or greenway.
- Picnic shelters and field rentals are open.
- Visitors must comply with state-wide restrictions prohibiting gatherings of greater than 10 people.
- Restrooms and limited portable toilets will be available, but visitors are encouraged to limit use of these facilities.
Includes Douthat, Smith Mountain Lake, Claytor Lake, New River Trail, Fairy Stone, and Natural Bridge