Carvins Cove Mountain Bike Challenge Is for All Riders
Experience the region’s awesome trails firsthand at the Carvins Cove Mountain Bike Challenge on Saturday, Nov. 3.
The event, which is presented by Star City Cycling, has categories for all ages – and levels of riders – so that everyone gets to see exactly why this region was recently named an IMBA Silver-Level Ride Center.
Here’s the race description: “The Carvins Cove Mountain Bike Challenge will be the first true XC lap race ever held at the cove. There will be three separate courses with challenges appropriate for different skill levels, each one featuring over 80 percent singletrack. Choose your category wisely.”
And if you are new to mountain bike racing, registration is free thanks to East Coasters Bike Shop.
Categories and course options
- Beginners, Juniors, and First-Timers will race on a moderately challenging 4.6-mile loop. Featured trails include 4 Gorge Extension, Kerncliff, Tuckaway, and Songbird.
- Sport riders will get to see some of the most scenic and remote areas of the cove on a 10.5-mile double loop course that provides a variety of challenges for experienced racers. Trails include 4 Gorge Extension, Kerncliff, Upper Comet, Tuckaway, and Songbird.
- Expert racers will tackle a triple loop course that packs nearly 2,200 feet of climbing into 17 miles with sustained climbs, technical descents, and plenty of great flowing singletrack. Featured trails include Jacob’s Drop, Upper Comet, 4 Gorge Extension, Kerncliff, Tuckaway, and Songbird.
- Kids not ready for Junior categories will ride along the Happy Valley Fire Road. The race will be an out and back to a turnaround point 1/2 mile from the starting line.
There are prizes for winners, special competitions, and drawings for everyone who registers. (Some of the prizes includes a pretty sweet kids bike, private rooftop party and Airbnb rental, equipment and rental package for a bike or paddling adventure, and rental and passes for Loch Haven Lake.
Carvins Cove Mountain Bike Challenge
- When: Saturday, Nov. 8, beginning at 10 a.m.
- Where: 4684 Carvins Cove Road, Salem
- Register: Online