Celebrate #ROAIPADAY All Week Long
The crazy cool beer culture and growing scene in the Roanoke Region needs to be celebrated. And we don’t want to share it with that national IPA day in August.
To that end, we are designating the third Tuesday in February (Feb. 20) as Roanoke IPA Day, or #ROAIPADAY.
The IPA is a signature style and mainstay among most craft brewers. Here’s a good description of the IPA, or India Pale Ale, style from Jeff Schauland, the in-house brewer at the Deschutes Brewery Tasting Room:
A moderately strong and generally bitter beer style characterized by heavy use of hops. The classic American IPA will tend to have a clean finish allowing the flavors and aromas from the hops to shine. Most American IPAs will utilize hops from the U.S. as well as from Australia and New Zealand giving the finished beer a range of flavors and aromas including citrus, tropical fruit, stone fruit, pine, berry, melon, etc.
#ROAIPADAY is a celebration of the style of beer … and culture that makes us want to play outside. And what better place than the Roanoke Region of Virginia? With more than two dozen craft breweries plus one of the best mountain playgrounds in the nation, it’s a perfect fit.
Roanoke Outside will be spending part of #ROAIPADAY at the Deschutes Tasting Room in Downtown Roanoke. (We’re the beneficiary of the Community Pints program this month, where $1 from every pint goes to help the work we are doing outside.)
They also have a special IPA flight for you that includes six 4 ounce pours for $12, plus tax.
- Fresh Squeezed IPA: A juicy citrus and grapefruit flavor profile. As if fresh Citra and Mosaic hops were squeezed straight into the bottle.
- Inversion IPA: Whole flower hops create piney, floral notes with a well-balanced bitterness.
- Red Chair NWPA: A citrus punch, bold hop aroma, and clean finish.
- Pinedrops IPA: Hints of pine and spruce. Clean malt and a crisp finish.
- Hop Henge Imperial IPA: With an immense hop flavor and bitter finish, this monumental IPA is an enigma worth pondering.
- Sagefight Imperial IPA: Citrusy hops go head to head with resinous sage and juniper in a flavor battle royale.
Celebrate #ROAIPADAY from any brewery or tasting room in the region, or make sure to get a growler fill or stock up on bottles or cans this weekend so you can enjoy your IPA at home. And what the heck … let’s just celebrate this great brew all week long!
Make sure to try these IPAs from Roanoke Region breweries:
- Ballast Point Brewing Company: Sculpin IPA
- Deschutes Brewery Roanoke Tasting Room: Fresh Squeezed IPA
- Starr Hill Pilot Brewery & Side Stage: Northern Lights IPA
- Parkway Brewing Company: Get Bent Mountain IPA
- Sunken City Brewing Company: Red Clay IPA
- Chaos Mountain Brewing: Mad Hopper IPA
- Flying Mouse Brewery: Flying Mouse 4
- Big Lick Brewing Company: Peace, Love & Hoppiness
- Soaring Ridge Craft Brewers: Crooked Way IPA
- Barrel Chest Wine and Beer: I’m Not Tired IPA
- Twin Creeks Brewing Co.: 24 to New England
- Hammer & Forge Brewing Company: Elder Mountain
- Olde Salem Brewing Company: The Offering
- Jack Mason’s Brewing: Happy Knack IPA
Share your love of the brew – and beer style with us – by posting photos sharing your favorite IPA using #ROAIPADAY on social media.
Share your love of the brew and join our event on Facebook or add a badge right in Facebook when you post that beer selfie. Cheers!